Russia is Manipulating US Public Opinion through Online Propaganda
Welcome to PropOrNot! This site is a resource for people who want to understand Russian influence operations targeted at US audiences, distinguish between propaganda and commercial “clickbait”, and help identify propaganda and push back.
UPDATE: We are publishing our Black Friday Report, adding FAQ entries, updating The List, and more! Please see our latest post for more information. Also, for a sense of what certain kinds of Russian trolls look and sound like in real life, check out this Samantha Bee segment, which cleverly interviews Russian social-media and comment-section propagandists:
Russian Fake “News” is Influencing American Citizens
A large-scale information campaign is deceptively injecting Russian propaganda into American public discourse online. It operates on both the left and the right, generating thousands of fake news articles, memes, tweets, and videos. Collectively, this propaganda is undermining our public discourse by providing a warped view of the world, where Russia can do no wrong, and America is a corrupt dystopia that is tearing itself apart. It is vital that this effort be exposed for what it is: A coordinated attempt to deceive U.S. citizens into acting in Russia’s interests.
|Old-Style Russian Propaganda||New-Style Russian Propaganda|
It’s Bigger Than Just Hacked E-Mails
Russia’s attempts to influence the US election via hacking and selectively leaking sensitive US government and political information have been widely documented, but Russia is not conducting those operations in isolation. Their hacking efforts are accompanied by a large-scale, long-term, and remarkably effective campaign to build online propaganda outlets targeting US audiences. These sites have US audiences estimated in the millions, parrot Russian state-owned propaganda, and relentlessly attack the important investigative work done by actual American journalists.
Russian Propaganda Targets All Americans
While Russian influence operations resemble a marketing effort in some ways, only a few dozen individual outlets (“sources”) actually produce large amounts of original propaganda content. That content is then echoed, extended, and amplified through an immense number of secondary sites (“repeaters”). Both source and repeater outlets target a wide range of audiences: US military veterans, Wall St. insiders and finance specialists, natural-food and health enthusiasts, goldbugs, African-Americans, white Americans, peace activists, religious people, 9/11-“truthers”, and politically-active Americans across and outside the political spectrum. For example:
|Name||Domain||Primary Target Audience Interests||Review Article||Absurd Pro-Russia Content||Source?||Repeater?|
|Infowars / Alex Jones||infowars.com||Conspiracy||Example||Example||Major||Major|
|Ending The Fed||endingthefed.com||Right-wing||Example||Example||Minor||Major|
|Before It’s News||beforeitsnews.com||General||Example||Example||No||Major|
|Ron Paul Institute||ronpaulinstitute.org||Right-Wing||Example||Example||Major||Major|
|Hang the Bankers||hangthebankers.com||Finance||Example||Example||Minor||Major|
|The Activist Post||activistpost.com||Left-wing||Example||Example||Major||Minor|
|America’s Freedom Fighters||americasfreedomfighters.com||Right-wing||Example||Example||Minor||Minor|
|Paul Craig Roberts||paulcraigroberts.org||Left-wing||Example||Example||Major||Minor|
PropOrNot is a Resource
We at PropOrNot are assembling tools and information to help identify and neutralize Russian propaganda. We are not waiting for an official response, and we need your help!
We call on the American public to:
- Be aware that Russia is trying to supplant actual journalism (that has editors and fact checkers who impose accountability for mistakes), with fake-“media” online propaganda that Russia influences or controls.
- Spread the word: Russia is attempting to manipulate the American people through online propaganda.
- Obtain news from actual reporters, who report to an editor and are professionally accountable for mistakes. We suggest NPR, the BBC, the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post, Buzzfeed, VICE, etc, and especially your local papers and local TV news channels. Support them by subscribing, if you can!
- Familiarize yourself with this project, at www.propornot.com, and especially our Introduction, Frequently Asked Questions, and Manual Propaganda Analysis example, so you can practice distinguishing between Russian propaganda and actual news for yourself.
- Share this site, www.propornot.com, on social media, by email, and however else you think appropriate – especially with family members, reporters, politicians, celebrities, and other influencers.
- Respectfully discuss this with people who you see credulously repeating Russian propaganda, if you think think they will listen. People will often have a hard time believing that their favorite “alternative” news sources are foreign-directed disinformation, but encourage them to take a carefully critical look. Look for ridiculous pro-Russian articles and posts on their favorite sites, and ask them: “What exactly is that doing there!?”
- Participate in the YYYcampaignYYY, to help highlight Russian propaganda websites, accounts, and other outlets, by putting a YYY on either side of their name. It’s straightforward.
- Review our Reference Articles section, which provide excellent background on Russian propaganda and influence operations both in the US and around the world.
- Join us on Reddit, at https://www.reddit.com/r/PropOrNot/, to help us track down and expose Russian propaganda outlets that we haven’t discovered yet.
We call on individuals who think they might be, or have been, unwittingly involved in producing or spreading Russian propaganda, to:
- Come forward with your stories. We want to know what happened, and we encourage you to get in touch with actual reporters who can tell your story with the respect and care it deserves. We can help with that if you would like.
- Stop spreading Russian propaganda. Don’t keep doing it in the hope that you will gather more information about how it all works. The US government already has plenty of information about this.
We call on Congressional leadership, and the Obama administration, to:
- Immediately begin investigations to determine whether any U.S. government action or inaction has allowed Russia to manipulate the US domestic political process, and interfere in the 2016 election, through online propaganda.
- Immediately begin investigations to determine whether, by action or inaction, the American public has been deprived of related information that they need to vote in an informed manner.
- Work with our European allies to disconnect Russia from the SWIFT financial transaction system, effective immediately and lasting for at least one year, as an appropriate response to Russian manipulation of the election.
Finally, we would like to thank the many people who have helped us with this project, and whose work we are building on. We stand on the shoulders of giants. They are too numerous to list here, and many of them wish to remain anonymous for security and professional reasons, but some of them are listed in our Allies section to the right of this page.
Watch this space. Our tools are evolving and there will be much more soon.
— The PropOrNot Team
Whois Record for ProporNot.com
| is associated with ~48,976,554 domains
|Registrant Org||Domains By Proxy, LLC was found in ~11,722,649 other domains|
|Registrar Status||clientDeleteProhibited, clientRenewProhibited, clientTransferProhibited, clientUpdateProhibited|
|Dates||Created on 2016-08-21 – Expires on 2017-08-21 – Updated on 2016-08-21|
|Name Server(s)||NS45.DOMAINCONTROL.COM (has 40,723,303 domains)
NS46.DOMAINCONTROL.COM (has 40,723,303 domains)
|IP Address||184.108.40.206 – 353,133 other sites hosted on this server|
|IP Location||– California – Mountain View – Google Inc.|
|ASN||AS15169 GOOGLE – Google Inc., US (registered Mar 30, 2000)|
|Domain Status||Registered And Active Website|
|Whois History||3 records have been archived since 2016-08-21|
|IP History||3 changes on 4 unique IP addresses over 0 years|
|Registrar History||1 registrar|
|Hosting History||1 change on 2 unique name servers over 0 year|
|Website Title||Russia is Manipulating US Public Opinion through Online Propaganda|
|Terms||2691 (Unique: 907, Linked: 208)|
|Images||13 (Alt tags missing: 13)|
|Links||132 (Internal: 23, Outbound: 107)|
Registry Domain ID: 2054261158_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.godaddy.com
Registrar URL: http://www.godaddy.com
Update Date: 2016-08-21T20:15:41Z
Creation Date: 2016-08-21T20:15:41Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2017-08-21T20:15:41Z
Registrar: GoDaddy.com, LLC
Registrar IANA ID: 146
Registrar Abuse Contact Email:
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4806242505
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited http://www.icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Registry Registrant ID: Not Available From Registry
Registrant Name: Registration Private
Registrant Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC
Registrant Street: DomainsByProxy.com
Registrant Street: 14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309
Registrant City: Scottsdale
Registrant State/Province: Arizona
Registrant Postal Code: 85260
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.4806242599
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax: +1.4806242598
Registrant Fax Ext:
Registry Admin ID: Not Available From Registry
Admin Name: Registration Private
Admin Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC
Admin Street: DomainsByProxy.com
Admin Street: 14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309
Admin City: Scottsdale
Admin State/Province: Arizona
Admin Postal Code: 85260
Admin Country: US
Admin Phone: +1.4806242599
Admin Phone Ext:
Admin Fax: +1.4806242598
Admin Fax Ext:
Registry Tech ID: Not Available From Registry
Tech Name: Registration Private
Tech Organization: Domains By Proxy, LLC
Tech Street: DomainsByProxy.com
Tech Street: 14747 N Northsight Blvd Suite 111, PMB 309
Tech City: Scottsdale
Tech State/Province: Arizona
Tech Postal Code: 85260
Tech Country: US
Tech Phone: +1.4806242599
Tech Phone Ext:
Tech Fax: +1.4806242598
Tech Fax Ext:
Name Server: NS45.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
Name Server: NS46.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
URL of the ICANN WHOIS Data Problem Reporting System: http://wdprs.internic.net/